This project involved an underperforming HP
configuration. When a consultant recommended a complete system upgrade,
After several days of system monitoring, modeling, and careful analysis, we determined that since user demand was peaking to 85% that there was insufficient CPU capacity.
Based on additional analyses, we determined that the the present CPUs were overburdened (hitting a 94% occupancy rate [OCC]) and that the system required an additional two CPUs to meet current needs, and 4 CPUs to meet expected growth (see RUN Q statistics, below).
On the disk front, we determined that the majority of disk volumes were operating outside of their rated specifications.
This installation required additional CPUs, a new disk array, and a complete re-articulation of all of the files on the storage subsystem.
Result: Customer saved over $250,000 on an unnecessary system replacement and still achieved desired performance.